Top 10 Misconceptions About Atheists"
I addressed the points already there in the article comments, but I thought I would just re-post them here to have a reference to them for a later date if needed, you know for future dogma. Enjoy.
10) Maybe not, but you cannot claim its morally wrong to do so. If you do you have just invoked a moral law, or standard in raising that claim that your worldview cannot account for. That is your presupposition of the claim, is it not? Otherwise, the claim self destructs. Google "atheists eat babies"
9) But LaVeyan teachings are based on individualism, self-control, and "eye for an eye" morality. Certainly not a literal worship of any being other than the self. That would be defeating the whole purpose of the Satanic Bible in the first place. Atheists do worship the same god as Satanists and that is self.
8) Fear threats of hell? What a moronic statement. John we do it to WARN you not threaten you. A Christian warns "If you speed in this school zone you will get a ticket, hurt children, or even go to jail" The Atheist says "Don't threaten me Christian" That Atheist is a crazy person talking. Fitting for the originator of the article.
7) You DO claim to be god though. At least you try to place yourself in the Judges chair. Van Til said it this way "If God's authority must be authorized or validated by the authority of human reasoning and assessment, then human thinking is more authoritative the God Himself-in which case God would not have final authority, and indeed would no longer be God."
6) You don’t claim to be better than God but in the same breath you claim He is not good? How ironic. Are you OK?
5) As a Christian, its my position that God has revealed Himself to all mankind so that we can know for certain who He is. Those who deny His existence are suppressing the truth in unrighteousness to avoid accountability to God. It is the ultimate act of rebellion against Him and reveals the professing atheist's contempt toward God.
Pvblivs) said, "In actual common usage, atheism means the specific belief that there is no God. Simply put, some people want to broaden the category of atheism so as to make the category to which people want to refer in such discussions too cumbersome to specify. If, for some reason, one wishes to identify himself only as not a theist, the term non-theist will suffice. But the term is not often used, as the category is useless to discussion. And that is why I regard the attempt to broaden "atheist" to be synonymous with "non-theist" to be dishonest. "
3) You cannot claim certainty about anything within your worldview. There is a HOST of reasons why you have faith in a religion, called Atheism. You certainly cannot claim there is no evidence for the existence of God, because there is. But because you deny the evidence, its what makes you follow a dogma called atheism.
2) See above. You do have faith that your religion is right. You deny evidence. Bahnsen said it best, "In fact, that cannot be evidence for God if he is a naturalist, or an atheist. Because according to him [Atheist] its not possible to have evidence for God. If he is in fact an atheist in terms of his views on reality, then all of these things must be reinterpreted so they are regimented, or will conform to, will comport with that man's naturalism, or atheism."
Bahnsen also pointed out, "As [a Christian] I would say to an Atheist, there is plenty of evidence for God's existence. God has provided it everywhere. God has provided evidence in the stars of the heavens. God has provided evidence in the power of the seas, and the beauty of the forest. God has provided evidence in the intricacy of the human body. God has provided evidence in the course of history. God has provided evidence in the work that He did in the lives of the Israelites. God has provided evidence in the life of his Son and the miracles that were performed in His resurrection. God has provided evidence in the way He judges nations. God has provided evidence in the scriptures, revealing Himself through the prophets and the apostles. God provides evidence when you look at the wonderful harmony of the Bible written over many centuries by many men. God has provided evidence in the way that the Bible itself satisfies the deepest spiritual needs of people. God has provided evidence in the life transforming power of the Bible. We can go on and on."
1) Fallacious argument. Look up "appeal to popularity" You claim you are not a religion but then you boldly and proudly say "we are the second largest denomination in America." That would be laughable, if it were not so sad. You also said, "Worldwide we represent third place among the world religions, even though we're not religious." I just had to repeat that one to have these folks stare at it for another moment. I will say this, you are rich with irony.
Problem is John, you use your reasoning to test your reasoning which is viciously circular. With that line of thought, no one's reasoning could be invalid.
Salvation is not just for the next life John, et al - Not only did Christ's death and resurrection save souls for eternity, it saves our reasoning now. Again, I beg you to repent and turn from rejecting the God you know exists, and accept the free gift of Jesus Christ's payment for your sins, so that you might be saved from Hell, spend an eternity with God, AND have a firm foundation for your reasoning NOW.