July 16, 2008

Have you put Jesus on like a parachute?

"Two men are seated in a plane. The first is given a parachute and told to put is on as it would improve his flight. He's a little skeptical at first because he can't see how wearing a parachute in a plane could possibly improve the flight. After a time he decides to experiment and see if the claim is true. As he puts it on he notices the weight of it upon his shoulders and he finds that he has difficulty in sitting upright. However, he consoles himself with the fact that he was told the parachute would improve the flight. So, he decides to give the thing a little time. As he waits he notices that some of the other passengers are laughing at him, because he's wearing a parachute in a plane. He begins to feel somewhat humiliated. As they begin to point and laugh at him and he can stand it no longer, he slinks in his seat, unstraps the parachute, and throws it to the floor. Disillusionment and bitterness fill his heart, because, as far as he was concerned, he was told an outright lie.

The second man is given a parachute, but listen to what he's told. He's told to put it on because at any moment he'd be jumping 25,000 feet out of the plane. He gratefully puts the parachute on; he doesn't notice the weight of it upon his shoulders, nor that he can't sit upright. His mind is consumed with the thought of what would happen to him if he jumped without that parachute.

Let's analyze the motive and the result of each passenger's experience. The first man's motive for putting the parachute on was solely to improve his flight. The result of his experience was that he was humiliated by the passengers; he was disillusioned and somewhat embittered against those who gave him the parachute. As far as he's concerned it'll be a long time before anyone gets one of those things on his back again. The second man put the parachute on solely to escape the jump to come, and because of his knowledge of what would happen to him without it, he has a deep-rooted joy and peace in his heart knowing that he's saved from sure death. This knowledge gives him the ability to withstand the mockery of the other passengers. His attitude towards those who gave him the parachute is one of heart-felt gratitude.

Now listen to what the modern gospel says. It says, "Put on the Lord Jesus Christ. He'll give you love, joy, peace, fulfillment, and lasting happiness." In other words, "Jesus will improve your flight." So the sinner responds, and in an experimental fashion, puts on the Savior to see if the claims are true. And what does he get? The promised temptation, tribulation, and persecution. The other passengers mock him. So what does he do? He takes off the Lord Jesus Christ, he's offended for the word's sake (Mark 4:17), he's disillusioned and somewhat embittered, and quite rightly so. He was promised peace, joy, love, fulfillment, and lasting happiness, and all he got were trials and humiliation. His bitterness is directed toward those who gave him the so-called "good news". His latter end becomes worse than the first: another inoculated and bitter backslider." ~(Hell's Best Kept Secret)

Does this sound familiar? Have you been duped by this doctrine? Have you put Jesus on to comfort your ride?





bit.ly/Jesusparachute

12 comments:

  1. Cute story Dan. I understood the point of after just reading the title.

    My friends are mostly Christians, some with active ministries. Many of my family members are Christians. When I was a Christian as much joy as it brought me it was also no walk in the park. To be in the world, but not be of the world is no easy task. I daily humbled myself before the cross. Sure the parachute was uncomfortable at times, but it was worth it. Then one day I looked out the window and saw lots of other planes, and they were all on the ground! I realized the parachute was just for show and had no practical value, and that the parachutes on all the other planes must be the same way.

    You get another 10 points for the Huckleberry Hound graphic. ;-)

    P.s. There have to be better sources for apologetic material than Ray Comfort. If not, then Christendom is doomed! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute!

    You said "Cute story Dan."

    "There have to be better sources for apologetic material than Ray Comfort."

    So in fact you enjoyed Ray's story. Oops your 'street cred' among atheists is waning. Why do atheists hate Ray so much? I love the man's salesmanship. Have you been to his blog, Atheist Central?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I was accused of false conversion by the man himself. It was called Comfort Food back then. His apologetics are simple, childish, and chock full of fallacies. Not to mention he's an arrogant fellow as well.

    You can read the thread here: http://raycomfortfood.blogspot.com/2008/03/challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you see why he renamed it then. Maybe it should it be called Atheist magnet? So have you ever listened to true and false conversion yet?

    So you have been told by many people the same thing. That reminds me of an old saying I once heard from a friend. "If thirty people tell you that your drunk, then fall down"

    I can even make a joke about your stubbornness towards God. Mike was waiting patiently for a sign from God, Mike read the Bible and rejected it, then Ray Comfort comes by and said to you "have you heard true and false conversion?", Mike said "no I am waiting for God to talk to me", Then Dan came by and said to Mike "have you heard true and false conversion?" Mike again said "no I am waiting for God to talk to me" Then poor Mike dies gets to heaven and complains to God asking "why haven't you talked to me?". God replied "What are you talking about? I sent my faithful saints. First Paul, in My Word, then Ray and Dan who were 'jars of clay' to give you the message" Then God reluctantly sent Mike to hell for breaking His Law's (I know, it ain't easy being cheesy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me ask you one question Dan. Do think I'm telling the truth when i say I don't believe God exists?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have given you no reason to call me a liar. I have given you no reason to distrust me.

    Being called a liar is one of the things I won't tolerate. Have a nice life Dan. I still have hope for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You call it being a liar, I call it being in denial. Enjoy your life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike, let me apologize for offending you and being curt 'again.'

    I fully understand you really believe that God doesn't exist and that whatever evidence you seek, you seek it to back up your presuppositions.

    To engage you in a discussion I said 'no' but possibly it back fired. I am one to believe that we all have that knowledge of God burned into our conscience but when we suppress that knowledge it becomes dangerous. I wish everyone to stay and get informed but mainly Mike, I want to see you convicted.

    With love,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speaking of Ray Comfort- you do know, don't you Dan, that his famous "Atheist's Nightmare" video about the banana is simply wrong, and that he (as far as I know) has never acknowledged that it is wrong? The features that he touts as being proof that the banana was perfectly designed by God for our benefit only apply to the modern cultivated banana- the wild banana is short, fat, not sweet, and has lots of big seeds. The modern banana is just as much a product of humans as, say, a Honda Civic. Ray Comfort might just as well have made a video about the Honda Civic being proof of God's munificence.

    Of course, Comfort has become a laughingstock for atheists because of this video. I'll second mike, and say that you would do better to look to other sources for apologetic material.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the apology Dan. I accept it and forgive you. Sadly, I still see little here at your blog that promotes healthy discussion between atheists and yourself. I'll stop in from time to time though and might even leave a comment or two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice experience shared. Its not less than an interview. Great way of posting such good and informative stuff. skydiving las vegas

    ReplyDelete

Bring your "A" game. To link: <a href="url">text</a>